Widely know as one of the most prestigious jazz education programs on the west coast, YLJC has small ensembles for every skill level as well as a big band.
2021- 2022 Season
We will be announcing the audition dates for Spring 2022 semester soon! If you’d like to get an email when the dates become available, please email us at email@example.com
Who Can Enroll?
We accept middle- and high-school music students who are able to play all 12 major scales. Vocalists and instrumentalists are encouraged to enroll.
Students are placed in small combos of seven or eight students and rehearse weekly. Every conservatory student will have an opportunity to play in at least one Wednesday-evening concert feature in The Young Lions Series at Panama 66 and at our All-Ensembles Recitals. In addition, some conservatory combos will have the opportunity to perform at Jazz @ the Jacobs, Adams Avenue Street Fair, KSDS Jazz Live Series, and festivals throughout the state.
2021-22 Schedule at a Glance:
- June 11, 2021: Audition Requirements Posted to Website (1st Semester)
- July 18, 2021: Audition Videos Due
- August 1, 2021: THE SHAPE OF JAZZ TO COME - Annual Celebration & Fundraiser
- August 27, 2021: FIRST WEEKEND OF CLASSES
- September 10-13, 2021: NO CLASSES (Labor Day Weekend)
- November 20, 2021: Audition Requirements Posted to Website (2nd Semester)
- November 20 - 24, 2021: OPEN HOUSE WEEKEND
- November 27, 2021: December 3, 2021: NO CLASSES (Thanksgiving Break)
- December 11, 2021: ALL ENSEMBLES RECITAL
- December 20, 2021 – Audition Videos Due (2nd Semester)
- December 25, 2021 – January 7, 2022: NO CLASSES (Winter Break)
- January 8, 2022 – First Day of Second Semester
- February 19 – 25, 2022: NO CLASSES (President's Weekend)
- April 16 – 22, 2022: NO CLASSES (Spring Break)
- May 14 – May 20, 2022: OPEN HOUSE WEEKEND
- May 28 – June 3, 2022: NO CLASSES (Memorial Day Weekend)
- June 4 - June 10, 2022: LAST WEEK OF CLASSES
- June 11, 2022 – ALL ENSEMBLES RECITAL
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Is Tuition?
Tuition may be paid in full, by semester, or monthly.
- $950 for the full season
- $500 per semester, due August and January.
- 10 monthly payments of $105 due at the end of each month.
Siblings receive a 50 percent discount.
There are no registration or material fees.
Do You Offer Scholarships?
Yes, we believe no child should miss out on the opportunity and enrichment that music education provides. To be considered for a scholarship, families should submit a scholarship application prior to the deadline. Click Here for more details.
How Many Students In A Class?
Ensembles have an average of seven students each.
What's The Class Schedule?
Classes meet once a week for 90 minutes. The majority of classes are held on Saturdays and Sundays. Some classes may be held in the evenings during the week. Class schedules are not set until after the audition process.
What Is The Placement Process?
Placement is administered by faculty, and each student's audition is carefully reviewed. Students are placed in ensembles based on their ability demonstrated in the audition video.
Unfortunately we cannot accommodate requests to be placed in a particular ensemble. The best way to get placed in higher-level ensembles is to practice!
How Many Classes Can I Miss?
In order to maintain the cohesiveness of each ensemble, and to be eligible to participate in external performance opportunities, students must not have more than two unexcused absences during the season. An absence is “excused” only as expressly determined by ensemble instructors.
If a last-minute emergency arises, students should notify their ensemble leader at the earliest possible opportunity. All other excused absences should be presented to ensemble leaders at least one week ahead of time for approval. Examples of excused absences include: college preparatory testing, funeral, family emergency, and illness.
Can I Join Mid Year?
Yes, mid-year auditions are held every December for the upcoming spring semester. Keep an eye on the website for dates or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll notify you when placement auditions are announced.
Do I Have To Know How To Read Music?
Yes, YLJC has minimum requirements for the audition process, and reading music is a necessary component. Please view our audition requirements to learn more.
Do You Offer Big Band?
Yes, we have a big band! Members are hand picked by our Artistic Director, Gilbert Castellanos. If you are chosen to participate there is no additional tuition fee.
Do You Teach Different Types Of Jazz?
Yes, our curriculum represents many styles of music including traditional jazz standards from the American songbook, Afro Cuban, Latin Jazz, Bossa Nova, Samba Music, Funk Jazz, Traditional Jazz, Bebop, Postmodern Bebop, and Modern Jazz just to name a few. Students are also encouraged to write music for their ensembles.